10.13.2014

Doppelganger

If you could be anyone that you wanted, who would it be? This question is not one that haunts me often. I'm quite pleased with who I am and the direction I'm heading in. However, for the sake of this class and this blog post, I'll pretend I ponder this. 

During Career Development, we were required to set up informational interviews to attend to learn about the "real life" graphic design field. Possibly my most memorable meeting was with Jennifer, or Jenn, Stewart. She and Gage Mitchell were the soul designers and owners of Modern Species Graphic Design Firm. I set up a group interview with Gage and Jenn but they suggested I also do a personal interview and bring them some projects to see. 

I brought a few projects and showed them during the interview as I would if I were interviewing for a job. They enjoyed my presentation and offered good advice for future interviews. After I finished showing my work they showed me some of their projects.

Modern Species specializes in working green and sustainable. Both Gage and Jennifer have an intense love for the environment and prefer to leave less of a footprint where possible. Their clients are brands that I am familiar with (So Delicious, Craft Beer Week, etc). 

Before Jenn joined Gage in the graphic design endeavor she was a copy writer. I've always been interested and passionate about writing. One of my favorite things about design is having the ability to create clever tag lines and change/write body copy. 

Jenn and Gage are both active in AIGA. They are a happy team in their business and private lives. I look up to both of them for their views on sustainability, design, and love-business balance. For these reasons, if I had to be someone else, I would choose to be Jennifer Stewart, the mostly vegetairian with a penchant for sweet things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment