10.31.2013

thesis ideas

I've been contemplating thesis ideas over the span of the past few quarters. Senior year can seem really ominous with the realization that senior project is coming. After writing all of the ideas I came up with down I started to weed it out and these are three possible senior thesis options (thus far). 

First option:
Vegan made sexy.
Project: create an app and packaging design that work together interactively to make vegan recipes seem less hippie and more mainstream. 
Thesis: Food and gender marketing. Sexualization of food products. 
Initially I thought that it would be really fun to create a vegan restaurant or food truck. I could expand product to grocery stores and local markets. The idea of a food truck has been really over-done (in my opinion) lately by seniors coming out of my school. As it is important to stand out I decided to drop the idea of a food truck and look into the idea of an app. App design showcases an ability to create UX and usability as well as differentiates graphic design students from one another. 

After meeting with Tony, I decided to chose one of the two following options:

Second option:
Ballard Grill & Ale House or 4B's Redesign/Overhaul
Project: create an entire branding and environmental graphics for 4B's bar in Ballard. Take the existing bar and change it to create an experiential brand and bar design.
Thesis: Experiential Branding. Creating the perfect bar.
For this project I would like to take real life design projects and create them during school. I currently work at the bar and we do not have a logo, business cards, or any REAL look and feel. The current managers have tried to create some consistent feel but haven't quite maneuvered it. I would like to change the environmental design as well as create a logo, business card, signage and menus. 

Third option:
Bar Design.
Project: create a bar from the ground up. Come up with any and all design that will be seen in the bar.
Thesis: Experiential Branding. Bar creation and user experience. 
This project would allow me to create my own bar. I would chose an experience that I would like create in the bar (for example apothecary style) and design the bar and collateral in a way that exemplifies that. I could potentially work with an ID student to create three dimensional items and architecture blueprints. I would create environmental design, menus, logo, signage, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment