1.14.2013

portfolio website: project statement

  Create a list of all users that may visit your site (not from the WWW but those you’d invite).
  •  Creative Directors
  • Art Directors
  • PR Personnel
  • Clients
  • Students
  • Teachers
  • Friends
  • Family


What will each of those users want to see in order to enjoy their visit to your site? Name your intended audience (the person(s) you need to persuade.)
  • Creative Directors and Art Directors:
    Images of projects that are easily accessible and quick to navigate through. Easily found and downloadable or selectable resume and obvious contact information. Probably a safe bet that less is more- showcase your work, less clutter.
  • PR Personnel:
    Resume that is easy to download or select. Obvious contact button.
  • Clients:
    Beautiful work and easy navigation with a seriously easy to find call to action! Hire me or contact me button should probably be on every page. 
  • Students:
    Inspiration! Students are more interested in picking apart your coding, finding how things work and looking at your work to get ideas for their art. 
  • Teachers:
    Easy and quick navigation. Concept driven work with explanation of work.
  • Friends:
    Work that looks "realistic" and makes sense conceptually. Fully functional page that is not hard to understand but that really showcases my work.
  • Family:
    Any work posted by their awesome daughter/cousin/niece/relative that they can be impressed by. Must be VERY easy to understand with anything that has an image clickable (basically).

Describe what you need to inform and persuade them of:
Promote my: designs! I need things to show that are WORTH promoting.
Goals of the site are: showcase my work in a way that is easy to understand and navigate, without overwhelming the viewer but still keeping interest. 
My ultimate message/philosophy (about who you are): "Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated." -Paul Rand
I believe that the most promising and beautiful work is the most simple, and conceptual. A picture can say a thousand words, and I want to prove that to you with my designs.
What is the story you are telling? Simple is beautiful. 

List the assets you need to persuade the user: Which 7 (minimum) projects? scans of what?, photos of what objects? images from what computer graphics program? what descriptive text? list them.
  •  Backdoor at Roxy's Identity System and Collateral
    Logo
    Letterhead, Business Card, Envelope
    Direct Mailer
    Menu
    Signage
  • Bathtub Gin & CO Identity System and Collateral
    Logo
    Letterhead, Business Card, Envelope
    Menu
    Table Tent
    Style Guide
  • Roq La Rue Gallery Illustration
    Pen Illustration
    Full color pencil illustration
    Flyer
  • GQ Magazine We The Living Dead Article
    Splash page
    Pull quote
    Spread 1
    Spread 2
  • TWIF Beard & Stache Fest
    News paper ads
    Billboard
    Teeshirt
  • Nintendo Super Princess Daisy
    Logo
    Process Book
    Game Cover
    Splash cover design
  • Trader Joes Newsletter
    Cover
    Spread
    Folded Newsletter

 For the purpose of structuring your website portfolio pages, list the categories of work you will show. (for a Photographer, or example, it may be portrait, product, sports photography categories).
 Potential subcategories
  • Print Work
  • Web Work
  • Photography and Retouching
  • Hand-drawn work

Concept Statement:
The main purpose of my website is to show my work to future employers and potential customers. My work should be the focus and star of the website, so I don't want it to get lost in a messy or cluttered homepage. I want the website to have very intuitive and easy to understand navigation, with the aid of thumbnails and directional arrows to drive users to change projects. In order to grab attention and keep attention on my page I will use variety and show my best projects as well as include large, high quality images. As a designer, and a person, I rely and use humor in my work and my life. It is important to me to reflect who I am to my audience but also to keep my humor aside from my professionalism. 

In order to show the best possible me, and best possible projects, I want to hand pick the designs I showcase. My personal logo or name will be a stationary position on the website along with the navigation to create a feeling of consistency and ease. I will utilize arrows to toggle through projects as well as have click-able links so a user can always easily change what they are seeing. My main goal is create a website that people can browse without fuss or hassle that has an obvious call to action: hire me!



No comments:

Post a Comment