1.09.2013

unit one reading and inspiration: graphic design portfolio

READING SUMMARY
These first two chapters were about going back to basics. Just like most design classes have taught me, keep it simple! Successful web design is web design that can be navigated and understood easily from the users perspective. When things get overcomplicated on a website it becomes hard to navigate and frustrating. The second chapter really talks about how users are more-or-less, rapid clickers. Tunnel vision sets in when there is a goal in mind (and honestly, how often are we NOT looking for something) and people tend to just click whatever strikes their fancy first, even if there is a more straightforward way to find what they are looking for. We are habitual creatures that tend to do things the way that we know how, even if it's not the most efficient way.

While I felt like the things that were covered were relatively common sense, I think it is really very important to take into consideration our habit-forming nature. Personally, I have used Adobe Photoshop for years- probably since about 2004. I do things the way I taught myself to do them if I wasn't sure the correct way. I am currently learning hot keys and shortcuts and my mind is blown. I initially turn on autopilot and try to do things the old way, but the more I learn and utilize these shortcuts, the more time I devote to what I'm doing and the less time I have clicking around. I feel like web users are very similar. Once something works, they will do it that way until they train themselves otherwise. Our job as designers is to not only make things work beautifully, but quickly and comprehensibly, in a way that might aid our visitors to learn! That sounds like a big responsibility!

Why Mood Boards Matter was a very interesting article explaining the importance of mood boards. As a designer I am always looking at pictures of ANYTHING to get inspiration. A mood board is just a collection of inspirations that give the vibe of the direction you want to take your project in. They are a great source to refer back to when designing as well as a great option to show clients. In the design world we always want to SHOW and not TELL. A mood board really does just that. Now if only I could settle on one style...



INSPIRATION

These are some really beautiful graphic design portfolios and websites!

Cymetriq

Charlotte Tang (don't forget to check out the awesome color hover effect!)

Olly Gibs (love the type and the hover- also check out the about me page, love how it opens to the right)
 
Paul Currah (so, basically I am obsessed with hover effects)

Ben Barry

Kendra Schaefer (sassy and sarcastic. I can dig it)

Cast Iron

Moreten Claussen (you're welcome for the mind explosion)

M1 (it's not in English, but it is so fun!)

Ben Hulse

Ryan Scherf

Scribble Tone

No comments:

Post a Comment